Be BOLD with colour this Summer!
Summer is here, and along with salty skin and balmy summer weather, it also brings some hot interior trends!
This season interior trends can be seen to embrace all areas of the home, however the bedroom is a big focus point with lots of easy, fun and inexpensive ways to bring that summer vibe into your dream space.
As soon as the temperature gage hits the highs, we see a shift in the seasonal fashion trends. Out goes the drab grey sweaters and boring neutrals. Instead we see catwalk trends embracing bold block colours geometric shapes, soft floral and romantic hues. These looks also inspire the interior realm, with three major key looks being the most readily available styles to find in both homeware and furniture accent pieces.
1) Bold & Bright
Loud block colour is a major contender that promises to be big this season. The first colour trend that remains hot is high-summer brights in all types of geometric patterns, embracing loud neon accents that instantly freshen up a room. Focus is on using larger items of furniture or feature walls to create modern depth, such as a painted statement chair or vibrant upholstered bedhead. No longer limited to smaller items, there are various options available and an array of DIY WEBSITES that show you how to turn ordinary items into extraordinary collections with a splash of paint.
The second trend emerges from the great tropical escape that embraces everything from bright floral to tropical bird prints. Think dark, mossy greens lifted with citrus neon’s to create an edgy and eclectic look and deep-rose hues combined with bright accents of intense yellows and electric blues and hint of peach.
This trend is best used with smaller items like cushions, throws, accent pieces and occasionally wallpapers for the brave when paired back with accessories.
This trend is inspired by spring time floral, nature’s wild foliage and natural textures.
In addition it also sees a resurgence of a more romantic take on soft and sweet. This sentiment is captured by the revival of spring time colours asserting a strong influence to childhood innocence.
This is where the spot muted pastels take the stage in feature wall colours, linens and even lighting.
Blossom pinks are mixed with sky blues and buttercup yellows to create a family of floral inspired pastels.
Once you've established which summer style best suits you, it’s relatively easy to create beautiful bedroom spaces with a bit of fun and personality and without the price tag!
Below I've listed my top 5 ideas for adding a summer look to your bedroom.
1. Get creative! There are a number of craft supplies like WASHI tape which can be found in just about every colour of the rainbow. If your renting this is a fantastic (and cheap way) to dress up old furniture or legs of chairs. Use it to highlight architectural features, doors mouldings and more! This is a great way to bring in that geometric influence. The best thing about it? It’s easy to remove so you can update your look as often as you like!!
2. Layer it up! There’s a huge array of soft muted linens, textured throws or vibrant accent cushions that can instantly give your bedroom a lift! Try Kip & Co, Adairs or Country Road.
3. Art, art and more art! Again this is a very simple and easy way to inject some colour into your bedroom. If you’re after a quick fix or a cheap solution then wrapping paper could hold the answer. It can be a great way to use pattern or floral but pairing with an inexpensive Ikea frame, team this with white linens and soft muted hues in pale violet grey of pink.
4. Wall hangings are massive this season and there are a number of online tutorials to teach you how to incorporate, coloured or neutral yarns and bronze accent beads or feathers to create a beautiful focal point within your bedroom.
5. Features! If you have some room to play look at adding some colour to an old timber chair or stool to replace a bedside or dust off that old lamp shade and replace it for a modern or retro inspired reading lamp in bold brights or soft pastels, check out Freedom Furniture and Beacon Lighting!
For more ideas or to try these easy summer decor ideas, check out our Pinterest board and take advantage of all that the season has to offer.
This article and pins were kindly provided by Homebuyers Centre Interior Designer, Sarah Mossop.